Skip to main content

Trip to Florida Day 1

Day 1

Three events happen that seem unrelated:

1. We sleep through the breakfast offered by the hotel.

2. The first morning, our toilet in our bathroom gets clogged.

3. After the usual morning tantrum about taking that first pull-up diaper off, Asher decides to explore the hallways of the hotel.


Read on to see how these unrelated events played out:

We finally arrived in Tampa at midnight. We booked a hotel with the hope that we could have a place to go on the first night to rest, and get used to the time change. This was probably a good idea since it was about 3am before we got to sleep. At 10am I called my mom and said that we were all awake, but then when I realized the hotel no longer offered breakfast, I called back to ask her to pick up something for us to eat .My mother told me that she bought a potty just like the one Asher has at home and said she would bring it over for us to have at the hotel (see previous posting re: potty). She decided to get bagels at Einsteins and was on her way over with bagel sandwiches and the potty. I called the hotel maintenance to report our clogged toilet and played games with Asher while we waited for my mom to arrive. Mark went down to the parking lot to meet my mom and help her carry things. Asher decided to run up and down the hallway of the hotel with nothing but a t-shirt on. The running seemed to get things moving in his intestines and suddenly Asher declared “I have to poop, I have to poop!!!” This was unexpected, and I began to weigh options in my mind at a split-second pace.

The toilet in the hotel was clogged. The potty was in my mom’s car. Should I
carry him down to the lobby bathroom? But could he hold it? He had no pants on. I didn’t want to get pooped on. My cell phone rang. My mom. She had arrived. Oh good! The potty! Now Asher won’t have to poop in the plugged toilet. I ask Asher if he can hold it. “Yes.” He says. But moments later, "I have to poop, I have to poop-NOW." So I did the only thing I could and I sat him on the potty which was filled to the rim with water just drops from overflowing.

Mark and my mother walk into the hotel room-I turned my head to look at them and turned my head back to Asher to see the poop descending into clogged toilet. Plop.

Those unrelated events listed above seemed to come together in sitcom timing. I can almost see the writers sitting around discussing how to make the scene come together. “But what will delay the grandmother? Ah,yes, she has stopped to get bagels, that is why she walks in the second that the kid is pooping. Brilliant! Yes, lets do it!” I couldn't have written it better myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars

I have had my own life before this one as a mother. I have lived in a college dorm, lived alone moved two times to two different states where I did not know one single person. I bought a house when I was twenty-five and traveled to Central America by myself when I turned thirty. I have had free time I didn't even know was free time. Time for conversations with friends, time for spontaneous meals at restaurants, time to sit on a beach, read the paper, or even take a nap. So I know my life has taken a sharp turn when I consider free time to be a trip down to the basement to put laundry in the dryer. I had such "free time" yesterday. It was 4:30 pm, Adirah woke from her nap in a good mood. Asher was happy with an art project. What I didn't know was that Asher was also spiraling down to a blood sugar induced low, as he almost always has to be convinced to eat. He often has severe mood swings and breakdowns when he becomes hungry, yet refuses to eat in that state. The on...

Summer Milestones

Asher is learning how to ride his bike without training wheels! And today we went to swim class and he got promoted to the next level. He can swim now, head down arms circling and legs kicking. He is shedding his baby skin as he meets new challenges and he glows with pride when he realizes his successes. The summer began with a preschool graduation. For weeks prior, Asher wanted to know "how many days till I graduate?" The day finally came and Asher walked proudly under the canopy of arms of the other parents and non-graduating children. Then recently, after months of summer days at home, Asher visited his preschool for a day. As a visitor, a graduate. When we got there he saw old preschool friends and hugged them with gusto. He skipped off to the bathroom to wash his hands and went to play a little more. When I told him I was ready to go and I would see him at pickup, he ran over to me smiling and said, "Mom! All the things here are too small for me!" I looked at ...

Why I Don't Want Asher to WatchTV with Commercials

Today Asher had a lazy day on the couch. He was recovering from the stomach flu, so he had the luxury of watching TV all morning. Asher seemed tired of the shows he normally watches on PBS: Dragon Tales, Arthur, and Sesame Street, so I turned to "Sprout" and Asher watched this "new" channel as I washed dishes, and folded laundry. Suddenly, I heard Asher call to me, "Mom, come watch this commercial for Pillow Pets!!!" I went over to the TV, "Oh, it's over," he chirped,"But it's okay. You can go to pillow pets dot com and see the pillow pets. You NEED to look at pillow pets. One hug and your child will fall in love!"