Skip to main content

Baby to Boy

Most of the time Asher is not a baby anymore. He is a young boy. He makes poop jokes, acts like a robot, and throws himself on the floor for a laugh. He refuses to eat food, complains about activities and delays bedtime. He looks huge compared to his one year old sister.

But sometimes, usually at bedtime, he still feels like a baby. Tonight he wanted me to read the book about Joshua and the potty. This is a book I started reading to him when he was about two years old. I wanted him to be interested in potty training and this book seemed to be a good one. A picture in the book shows Joshua and all his body parts. From top to bottom Joshua has hair, eyes, mouth, hands and a penis for going "wee wee". Then next page shows him bending over to show where poop comes out. It is all very innocent and cute, and when I read it to Asher tonight his eyes lit up and he looked just as interested as he did when he was two.

We laughed at the page where Joshua pees and poops NEXT to the potty. We smiled when Joshua finally learned how to sit and wait on the potty. Joshua showed his mother his success and his mother was proud. Asher looked proud for Joshua.

I read to him, this day, February 23rd, when Asher is exactly five years and three months old. Before he fell asleep, Asher held up the bunny he has been sleeping with since he was born. He said, "Sometimes I make funny hair for mama bunny." He pulled the ears up to make "sticking up hair" He pulled the ears down, he curled the ears to make "alien bunny" and then he put the ears together to make "one eared alien bunny." I laughed, and I hugged him and as he fell asleep I felt the baby he is leaving behind and the boy he is becoming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars

I have had my own life before this one as a mother. I have lived in a college dorm, lived alone moved two times to two different states where I did not know one single person. I bought a house when I was twenty-five and traveled to Central America by myself when I turned thirty. I have had free time I didn't even know was free time. Time for conversations with friends, time for spontaneous meals at restaurants, time to sit on a beach, read the paper, or even take a nap. So I know my life has taken a sharp turn when I consider free time to be a trip down to the basement to put laundry in the dryer. I had such "free time" yesterday. It was 4:30 pm, Adirah woke from her nap in a good mood. Asher was happy with an art project. What I didn't know was that Asher was also spiraling down to a blood sugar induced low, as he almost always has to be convinced to eat. He often has severe mood swings and breakdowns when he becomes hungry, yet refuses to eat in that state. The on...

Summer Milestones

Asher is learning how to ride his bike without training wheels! And today we went to swim class and he got promoted to the next level. He can swim now, head down arms circling and legs kicking. He is shedding his baby skin as he meets new challenges and he glows with pride when he realizes his successes. The summer began with a preschool graduation. For weeks prior, Asher wanted to know "how many days till I graduate?" The day finally came and Asher walked proudly under the canopy of arms of the other parents and non-graduating children. Then recently, after months of summer days at home, Asher visited his preschool for a day. As a visitor, a graduate. When we got there he saw old preschool friends and hugged them with gusto. He skipped off to the bathroom to wash his hands and went to play a little more. When I told him I was ready to go and I would see him at pickup, he ran over to me smiling and said, "Mom! All the things here are too small for me!" I looked at ...

Why I Don't Want Asher to WatchTV with Commercials

Today Asher had a lazy day on the couch. He was recovering from the stomach flu, so he had the luxury of watching TV all morning. Asher seemed tired of the shows he normally watches on PBS: Dragon Tales, Arthur, and Sesame Street, so I turned to "Sprout" and Asher watched this "new" channel as I washed dishes, and folded laundry. Suddenly, I heard Asher call to me, "Mom, come watch this commercial for Pillow Pets!!!" I went over to the TV, "Oh, it's over," he chirped,"But it's okay. You can go to pillow pets dot com and see the pillow pets. You NEED to look at pillow pets. One hug and your child will fall in love!"